Tuesday 6 October 2015

PADDING- TECHNICAL

In this lesson we learnt how to use padding to create a hairstyle. I decided to do one side of the hair without padding and just using back combing and one side with padding to be able to see the difference and which one I preferred. 

To create the first half without padding I simply took a section of the hair from the scalp down to meet the ear, I then back combed making sure I only pushed my comb down towards the scalp neatly and not back and forth otherwise the hair would get tangled and snap. I then smoothed the front of the hair and rolled the hair into the shape I wanted it to be in. I then used grips to secure the hair into place. I really liked how this side turned out and think I got the volume and shape I wanted. 
For the side with the padding, I parted the hair in the same way and then took a piece of padding, which in this case was paper scrunched up inside some tights. I then started from the bottom of the hair and rolled it to the top of the head so that the hair was completely covering the padding and then gripped it into place. I don't think this technique worked very well as the padding was quite stiff so it was difficult to get the shape you wanted. Also it was a lot harder to make the padding not visible.
In the past I have used padding which was made up of pillow stuffing and wrapped in a hairnet, I liked this better as it was soft and I was able to shape it however I wanted to. I do like using padding but I for a photoshoot I think I will be fine using backcombing. If I was doing a hairstyle for theatre I would consider using padding as it would help the hairstyle stay in for longer and make it more structured and dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment